This is a preview of your page content. To close this preview and resume editing, click here. To save your changes, click here.

Chapter History

“With pride and pleasure we looked to this symbol of the birth of Gamma Iota…the seed we had been nourishing had at last blossomed forth in all its glory.” 
- Mildred Langford
Gamma Iota Historian, 1949

Colonization of Gamma Iota chapter began in 1947, the same year that UF was to become a co-ed University. Due to a strong presence of active ZTA alumnae in Gainesville, the alumnae as well as ZTA National Delegates wanted Zeta to be one of the first women’s fraternities on the campus. Gamma Iota’s charter was signed on April 2nd, 1949 and we officially became the 82nd link in ZTA’s chain. Our charter and installation initiates are pictured below, and were initiated along with 17 other women – totaling only 26 members at the time! By 1955, Gamma Iota Chapter had grown to 60 members. This was the year that we moved into a house on 1142 Panhellenic Drive that would become a home to our members for 64 years! Fast forward to the present, in 2019 we are a chapter of 255 members and our beloved house is currently undergoing construction. Set to be completed for Fall 2019 Panhellenic Recruitment (August), we will have the newest house on sorority row. However, since we did not demolish the base but in turn added to our existing structure, we are retaining the foundation of the home that we all hold so dearly to our hearts. We cherish the memories, love, and laughter created in the home that housed generations of ZTA's, but can not wait to see what is in store for our current and future members that will transform the "house" into a "home."

Thanks to the pioneering ZTA’s of Gainesville, Gamma Iota continues to be home to some of the best and brightest women at the University of Florida.  With such a rich history on this campus, we continue to serve as a beacon for service and excellence, never forgetting what ZTA stands for. 

 

Chapter News